Friday, March 4, 2022

#LucyMaudMarch

I recently joined a readalong on Instagram for L.M. Montgomery's The Blue Castle (also available as an ebook through NCKids digital). It ended up being a reread for me - Goodreads informed me I first read it back in 2014 - but there is something about Montgomery's writing that begs to be revisited again and again. I couldn't tell you how many times I've read the Anne of Green Gables series, and even though I know exactly what is going to happen - have some passages practically memorized - it always feels like going home, opening the pages and getting lost in that familiar and cozy world. Rereading The Blue Castle, and seeing plans on Instagram for a few other specific Montgomery readalongs, got me thinking ... and what started as an off-hand comment to a friend began to take root. 

I'd like to officially invite you to join me for #LucyMaudMarch - a relaxed and informal reading of L.M. Montgomery (aka: Lucy Maud). There is no required reading - I won't ask you to read a particular book on a particular week - and there are no group discussions. This is merely a chance to revisit - or perhaps discover for the first time! - a simpler time.

While most famous for the much beloved Anne Shirley, Montgomery wrote many more books about other fascinating and enchanting heroines. There's Emily of New Moon, and Jane of Lantern Hill. Kilmeny of the Orchard, Pat of Silver Bush, and The Story Girl. And let's not forget Anne's youngest daughter, Rilla of Ingleside, coming of age during WWI.

Perhaps you'd like to learn more about Montgomery herself, either in a biography (House of Dreams) or a novelization (Maud). 

Maybe you want to introduce a young reader to Anne, in which case I highly recommend the work of Kallie George. With dreamy illustrated books like Goodnight, Anne and If I Couldn't be Anne and a first-chapter series that begins with Anne Arrives, you can tell George is a kindred spirit. 

Another kindred spirit is Winston-Salem author Sarah McCoy - Marilla of Green Gables is an imagining of Marilla's life in the before times, and is an engrossing story on its own, as well as a loving homage to the original.

There are so very many options, more even than mentioned here, and I invite you to read any that catch your fancy, at any point during the month of March. All I ask if that if you do, let us know. I'd love to know what you read and what you think. Comment on any of the posts I make during the month, or tag us in your posts (and please, use the #LucyMaudMarch hashtag too!).

No comments:

Post a Comment