Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Book-to-Screen Adaptations, Part 2

Did you catch the first Book-to-Screen Adaptations post? I mentioned an upcoming post with more about the Young Adult [YA] books that have taken screens by storm - and here it is, with a small twist. I know this is probably shocking - but I have not (yet!) seen any of these adaptations. I have read several of the books (I'll let you know which ones), and have all of these on my "To Watch" list, it just hasn't happened. Yet. And so ... a list of popular and "buzzy" YA Book-to-Screen Adaptations.

Note: All of the adaptations listed are available on streaming services. The links posted are to the original book form in the Library catalog, but the streaming platforms are mentioned for each.

To All the Boys I've Loved Before 
How to watch: 3-movie "series" on Netflix
Based on Jenny Han's trilogy of books by the same name, I've heard only good things about these movies. I can say the books were very fun, and Lara Jean is an adorable heroine.

The Summer I Turned Pretty 
How to watch: 7-episode series on Amazon Prime, potentially more seasons?
The first book in another trilogy by Jenny Han, I remember having more weight than you might expect - but that was many, many moons ago. Popular opinion however, says the show is good summer viewing.

Along for the Ride 
How to watch: Netflix
As a tremendous fan of Sarah Dessen (a local author, just down the road in Chapel Hill!), when she posted behind the scenes teasers from the filming of this movie to her Instagram? I squealed. The fact I have not seen this movie yet is a testimony to the whirlwind that is this year, but I have read the book multiple times and look forward to seeing it on screen.

Love & Gelato 
How to watch: Netflix
The covers of this series are so cute, as are the titles - but I haven't read them yet. Rumor has it that the books especially will give you a bad case of wanderlust. (Sounds fun to me!)

Dumplin'
How to watch: Netflix
Julie Murphy knows how to write a character, and anytime I pick up one of her books I devour them. Dumplin' was my first, but nowhere near my last. I've heard only the best feedback about this adaptation, which actually came out in 2018. That may be a sign it should move up my list...

Shadow and Bone
How to watch: Series on Netflix, potentially more seasons?
Honestly, this trilogy by Leigh Bardugo never really hit my radar, other than making sure the Library had copies because they checked out frequently. Then Netflix produced a show, with Ben Barnes in a starring role, and I got intrigued. YA Fantasy is usually a favorite genre for me, so may have to give this one a whirl - on the screen first.

Do any of these catch your eye?
Have you read and/or seen any already - if so, do share so I can decide which to watch first, ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment