Friday, June 3, 2022

Friday Ramble


Happy Friday, Reader! It's been a while since our last Friday Ramble, and somehow the first Friday of June (aka: the unofficial first weekend of Summer) feels like the appropriate time to chat. Grab a cool drink to sip, and let's see where the rambling takes us, shall we?

SUMMER READING
Of course this has to top the list today - Summer Reading is back! Wednesday was our official first day to register, and our first program will be a virtual visit to the sea turtle hospital in Marathon, Florida on Wednesday June 15th - a fascinating start to an exciting line-up of programs! This year, most programs will be in person at the Library, with a few special virtual events as well. Swing by our Summer Reading page for all the details and to register if you're a Teen and/or Adult.

Nostalgia Reading
Also known as "rereading classic children's books," but doesn't nostalgia reading sound better somehow? This idea is not a new one for me - I've been revisiting classics via audiobook off and on for a couple years now (highly recommend!), and sometimes there's a children's book in that mix. Most recently, I stumbled upon an audio version of Charlotte's Web narrated by Meryl Streep and a full cast. I love the depth a full cast gives an audiobook: completely unique voices for each character brings the story alive, and this was an excellent casting.
While listening however, I realized something: I'm not sure I'd ever actually read the book. We had a VHS copy of the {original} animated movie that I watched hundreds of times growing up, so I'm very familiar with the story. But I don't know that I ever read the words for myself; so that was fun, catching up on a missed classic. 
Of course, now I'm wondering what other books I didn't actually read and should revisit ...

Summer Plans: Bookish Version
While there are no thrilling vacation destinations on my horizon, I have some pretty exciting plans for the summer: to travel extensively, through space, time, and around the globe, through books. I have added many books to my personal library the last few months, and my goal for the summer is to read many of them {to "catch up" to my TBR would be nearly impossible, ha}. Stay tuned for updates on my progress, as I travel vicariously via pages. I may catch up on movies and series I've missed, also based on books {of course!}!

What are your plans for the summer? Exciting reading lists? Movies or documentaries set in exotic lands - or the reaches of space? Will you be one of the lucky ones traveling? 
No matter your plans, don't forget to register for Summer Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment